Due to the superior performance of the solar water pump, it is basically maintenance-free, but the solar water pump will have some problems due to improper operation. Here's a complete list of the most common problems with solar water pumps (and how to fix them).
1. Pump Will Not Start or Function at All
(1) Check the voltage of the system
Voltage should be at 10%± motor ratings. Read voltage at pressure switch, control box, and any other components power may be running through.
(2) Check Pressure Switch
Look for deformed, burned, or melted parts or discoloration, namely all black components. Check for sediment/debris in the tube/nipple leading to the switch. Check that contact points are being opened and closed accordingly.
(3) Check Control Panel
Check for apparent defects or simply signs of wear and tear. Look specifically for burnt, loose, or melted components.
(4) Check Splice Connections
Check for any corrosion or obvious damage. Typically, there is a splice connection at the top of the well, between the submersible cable and the UF/THHN.
(5) Check the Pump and Motor
If none of the above yields results, it may just be time to replace the pump and/or motor.
Although, before you toss it, there are many ways to troubleshoot the pump and motor, so check with the AIM Manual on Submersible Motors first.
2. Tilt Angle Causing Inconsistent Water Flow
TPON offers a graphic explaining the perfect tilt angle for your solar panel based on your location in the United States.
(1) Northern states such as Washington, Montana, and North Dakota are recommended to maintain a fixed Tilt Angle at 37°, with adjustments for summer angles of 2°and winter angles at 41°.
(2) Southern states, including Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas, are suggested to have fixed Tilt Angles at 30°, adjusting to 11° in summer and 50°for winter.
Once you adjust the angle for your proper latitude and time of year, you will see an immediate improvement in the water production of your pump.
3. Low Water Production
Any blockage of light will affect your solar pump’s performance in that it is unable to collect as much sunlight for energy production. Some pumps are so sensitive that even shadows cast in passing by a human will decrease water production.
Microcracks and shattered glass can also seriously affect water production. These issues can arise due to defects in manufacturing, problems in transport, or during installation. Although at first, it will only cause a small loss in power, this loss will increase over time and cause you to lose out on a lot of energy, and therefore, water, production.
(1) Check the surroundings of the chosen site. Consider locating your solar pump in an area that has little foot traffic (both animals and humans), to avoid casting shadows, and get rid of any overhanging vegetation that may even completely block some of the cells.
(2) Also, take a look at the height of your pump in the well. If your pump is too high in the well, it will not pull up an adequate amount of water. Lower the pump into the well, and it should return to producing normally.
(3) Lastly, examine your panel closely for cracks or any deformities in the cells.
(4) Some have tried using polyurethane to “paint" over the cracks and re-seal the panel, applying upwards of six coats.
However, this kind of DIY repair is actually not a good idea, because proper sealing of PV (photovoltaic) panels requires many chemical reactions.
(5) Ultimately, you may have to look into the replacement of the panel, as the expertise and materials required for this replacement are not likely available to the average person.
4. Water Running Continuously
(1) Keep an eye out in the yard for any puddles. This will be a tell-tale sign of where the leak is occurring.
(2) Shut off the water in the house and look at the water pressure gauge. If it remains consistent, there is no problem with the check valves and no leaks. If the pressure drops, there is a leak in the line to the house or an issue with the check valve.
(3) If the latter is the case, you will need to contact a professional plumber to help you fix the problem.
(4) Otherwise, check the pressure switch and try to lower the minimum pressure. Make sure to turn off the power before adjusting the pressure switch.
(5) TPON suggests even considering a smaller well pump if none of the above solve the problem, as seasonal changes can have drastic effects on elements such as the height of the water table.
5. Malfunctions with Low Well Sensor
If the low well sensor is too high in the water, not in the water at all, or not connected to the controller. The sensor will remain on, and the system will not pump water.
This can happen especially often in dry summer seasons, when production is at its peak, meaning the well runs lower much faster.
Check that your sensor is submerged and perform a system reset. Once on again, the system will recognize that the sensor is submerged, shut off the Low Well alert, and continue pumping water.
6. Damaged Pumping Mechanism
Helical rotors are particularly prone to this. If the stator is being operated outside of the water, it can overheat and melt, and not function properly. The build-up of sediment/debris in the well can wear out your stators even faster. Wear and tear over time will also damage these mechanisms.
You will need to pull up the pump and replace the pumping mechanism. This process only takes about 15 minutes.
7. Hot Spots in Cells (Burn Marks Inside Cell)
This can create a serious fire hazard. There will be holes in the cells, and it can even burn the back sheet of the panel. Hot spots can also cause the glass of the solar panel to shatter across the entire panel or in a localized region.
This can be caused by poor soldering or poor joints during manufacturing.
If you want to know more about solar water pumps after reading the above, please continue to pay attention to our news.
As a professional manufacturer of solar water pumps, TPON provides high-quality products that are widely used to solve domestic water and agricultural irrigation problems in countries where electricity is scarce or expensive. We are equipped with a professional production team and strict quality inspection system, we can also provide users with thoughtful one-stop service. If you are interested in our solar water pump, please send us your needs, we will give you a satisfactory answer in time!